Worley I.T. Services

Wednesday 20 July 2016

Video Editing Software

Carrying on with our guest contributors, we have Ash Dunn this week with his guide to video editing software for all the youtubers and video editors out there...

As a youtuber, editing is the most difficult part of the creative process comes down to the editing. So it's always good to get the best software possible. So here are a few of my past and present favorites

Windows Movie Maker
Once a standard piece of windows machines back in the days of windows XP, now as a download for windows 7, this software is a great place to start. With simple easy to use tools and instructions I would recommend to anyone new to the world of editing. However it is very limited in its abilities, adding captions is not made clear creating the need to make a blank page and then attempt to drag and drop over the clip you wish to use. But if all you wish to do is create slideshows or just practice your skills then this is where to start

Revelations, Sight and Sound
The next piece of software I moved onto back in 2009 when I was creating more often. A really good mid range piece of software. Made adding of captions, transitions and effects much easier. Adding of backing tracks and adjusting the volume levels was easy. But again this was held back by its tendency to freeze or not render files cleanly. It could sometimes take three attempts to get the quality correct and trying to use the setting menu to correct this was no simple task

Serif Movie Plus 6
My current editing software and by far my favorite. This is by far the smoothest setup I've run, simple to use but produces great quality exports and easy to set the standards required. Adding of captions and transitions is as simple as a drag and drop, leading to neat overlay of clips. Although it is simple it is a very professional piece of software, easy to use setup for green screens is available, for which I am yet to play with but I shall update when I do as well as creating insert windows within a screen


So there you have it. I hope you've found this useful and enjoy your future editing career. Ash out   

No comments:

Post a Comment